Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Year of the Pencil!

This was a good year, but there were some ups and some downs.  Like a pencil, you had to be sharp one end and flexible on the other.  Which end of the pencil did I use the most this school year?

First, pencils up!  I taught Read 180 and I taught Drama/Study Skills.  Only those two subjects, not 4 different subjects with no prep period.  The PLCs were informative, intense and infrequent.  We knew what our mission was.  The new A B schedule was new and exciting.  At first.

Ok, pencils down!.  The A B schedule was confusing and challenging.  At first.  Some students were not right academically and behaviorally.  At first.  The changes in the way discipline is handled was not user friendly.  At first.  The painting of the building was an interruption for everyone.  At first.

As I chew on this pencil, I have to wonder which end of the pencil helped me out the most.  Being sharp helped me with my students and my colleagues. I learned to watch for emotional meltdowns and blowups. People were upset when Romo got hurt. Being flexible helped me get through benchmarks, standardized testing, and state and federal budgetary concerns.  I still have a job!  Thank the Lord!

So which end of the pencil did I use the most?  Well, thinking back, I had to be more flexible this past school year, so I wore my pencil eraser out early.   But I was sharp, I bought extra pencils.

No comments: